Clam Chowder Bowls
Creamy homemade clam chowder served in warm sourdough bread bowls, Enjoy.
- 3 (6 1/2 oz.) cans minced clams with liquid
- 1 c. finely diced celery
- 1 c. finely chopped onions
- 3 c. peeled and cubed potatoes
- 4 c. half-and-half, warmed
- 3/4 c. butter
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
- Individual-size sourdough bread hollowed out for serving
- Place a strainer over a large pot. Drain the liquid from the clams into the pot; set the clams aside. Add the celery, onions, and potatoes to the pot, and add just enough water to cover the vegetables. Cover the pot with a lid and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium-low heat warm the half-and-half, stirring occasionally; do not boil.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in half-and-half, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully, pour the cream sauce into the vegetable pot, along with the clams, stir to combine; season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the top off the sourdough bread. Hollow out to make a bowl, leaving a 1-inch wall and bottom. Reserve the bread pieces for dipping. Ladle the chowder into the bread bowls and serve with bread pieces.
Print recipe here: Clam Chowder Bowls