Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Also known as Potatoes au Gratin. Layered russet potatoes, half-and-half, and cheddar cheese, baked until browned and bubbling! Photo shown is a double recipe.
- 1/4 c. onion chopped
- 3 T. butter
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c. half and half or whole milk
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 lg. potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté onion in butter until soft, add flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of cheese, stirring until melted, season with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of potatoes in a baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with half of sauce.
- Layer remaining potato slices on top of sauce and season. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.