Apple Cranberry Crumble Pie
Sweet apples compliment tart cranberries in our all-butter pastry topped with a crunchy brown sugar cinnamon oat crumble. One of my favorite pies for the holidays!
Servings: 8 slices
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. frozen unsalted butter grated
- 1/2 c. ice-cold water
- CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 3/4 c. rolled oats
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 T. cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. plus 2 tsp. arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen cranberries
- 8-9 med. Granny Smith apples peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 T. maple syrup
- CRUST: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt; set aside.
- Using the large holes of a box grater, quickly grate the frozen butter. Add the butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, quickly work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles small peas.
- Using a wood spoon, stir a 1/2 cup of ice water into the butter/flour mixture until incorporated. Press the dough between your fingers if it holds together it’s ready. Add more water if necessary, a tablespoon at a time, up to 3 tablespoons if needed.
- Pour the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a couple of times to form a ball. Divide the ball in half, flatten each half into a disc, then wrap each disc in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours before using OR freeze for up to a month and thaw in the refrigerator before using.
- CRUMBLE TOPPING: In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until large crumbs form. Chill until ready to use.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out one dough disk to fit the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch deep pie plate, about a 12 to 13-inch circle. Fold dough in half and then into a quarter to make it easier to transfer the dough to the pie plate. Unfold and arrange to fit plate. Take a fork and pierce holes in the bottom and sides to prevent bubbling. Trim overhang to one inch and crimp the edges. Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- FILLING: In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Melt butter in a large skillet; add cranberries and apples, cook over medium-high heat until apples are slightly tender, and cranberries begin to split and pop. Add maple syrup, cook 1 minute more.
- Add fruit to sugar mixture and toss together until combined. Spoon the filling into a chilled pie plate and sprinkle with crumble topping.
- Place pie on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes, until golden and filling is bubbling. Cool pie on a wire rack for at least 3 hours before serving (filling thickens as it cools).