A Northwest Fall Favorite!!
- 1 sheet (1/2 lb.) frozen puff pastry
- 1 lb. granny smith apples
- 1-1/2 T. butter
- 2 T. panko or plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove pastry sheet from package and let thaw (about 10 minutes).
- While pastry thaws, core apples and cut in half. Thinly slice apples on a mandolin, in a food processor, or by hand. Put apples in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a small pan over moderate heat, swirling pan, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Pour butter over apples and toss.
- Place thawed pastry on a sheet of parchment cut to fit a large baking sheet. Gently roll pastry into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle on the parchment. Lift parchment and transfer it with the pastry to the baking sheet. Sprinkle bread crumbs over pastry.
- Stir sugar into apples, then spread apples over pastry, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Fold edges of pastry over apples, pressing firmly on corners and sides to seal.
- Bake until apples are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over apples and bake until cheese is bubbling, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve warm.