Apple Potato Cheddar Soup
Warm up with a bowl of our creamy apple, potato, cheddar cheese soup, garnished with your favorite toppings. Serve with a fresh green salad and homemade bread for dipping!
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 med. granny smith apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 potato peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/4 c. diced onion
- 1/8 tsp. ground thyme
- 1/4 c. white wine
- 5 c. chicken stock or broth
- 2 c. grated mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
- Diced apple for garnish
- Crispy bacon bits for garnish
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Croutons for garnish
- In large heavy bottom pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped apples, potato, celery, onion, and thyme. Sauté 10 minutes.
- Stir in wine and simmer 2 minutes. Add stock or broth and simmer 45 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, puree soup mixture in batches. Return soup to the pot.
- Over very low heat, stir in cheese, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through (do not boil or the cheese will curdle).
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with more shredded cheese, diced or grated apple, bacon bits, green onions, and croutons, if desired.