Apricots in Light Syrup
Servings: 6 pints
- 8-10 lbs. apricots halved & pitted
- 3 3/4 c. water
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. lemon juice divided among jars
- 6 pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Prepare the boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- Cut apricots in half and remove the pit. (Submerge the fruit in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups cold water to prevent browning and drain.) Pack apricots, cavity side down and overlapping layers, into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Combine 3 3/4 cups water and sugar in a saucepan, slowly bring to a boil, Remove from heat when sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour lemon juice over the fruit. Ladle hot syrup over fruit, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe the rims. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
- Process jars in a boiling water canner for 25 minutes (start timing when the water returns to boil) adjusting for altitude.
- After processing, place the jars on a towel, to cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.