Arroz Con Pollo
A classic Cuban dish meaning "Rice with Chicken."
- CHICKEN MARINADE :
- 3 lg. garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 T. distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried oregano crumbled
- 4 chicken breast halves with bone halved crosswise
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- 3 oz. Spanish chorizo skin removed, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 med. onions chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. Spanish smoked hot paprika plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Turkish bay leaves
- 1 lb. tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle beer (not dark)
- 1 1/2 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c. long grain white rice
- 1/4 c. jarred pimiento or roasted red pepper rinsed and cut into strips
- Marinate chicken: Mince and mash garlic to a paste with 2 teaspoons salt, then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in vinegar and oregano. Remove skin and excess fat from chicken, then toss chicken with marinade until coated and marinate, covered and chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Cook chicken and rice: Cook chorizo in olive oil in a 12 inch wide 6 to 7-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat, stirring, until some fat is rendered, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add onions, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, oregano, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and bay leaves and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken with marinade to chorizo mixture and cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, about10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beer, broth, and rice and bring to a boil, making sure rice is submerged. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pot with a tight fitting lid. Cook, stirring once or twice, until rice is tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves, then scatter pimiento or red pepper strips over rice.