Asparagus Gruyere Tart with Prosciutto
Puff pastry topped with Gruyere cheese, asparagus and prosciutto. A terrific way to start off a meal!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 1/2 c. gruyere cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 lbs. med. Asparagus
- 1 T. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 c. chopped prosciutto, cooked bacon or ham optional
- 1/4 c. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a 16×10-inch rectangle. Trim uneven edges. Place pastry on a baking sheet. With a sharp knife, lightly score pastry dough 1 inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle. Using a fork, pierce dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pastry shell from the oven, and sprinkle with Gruyere. Trim the bottoms of the asparagus spears to fit crosswise inside the tart shell; arrange in a single layer over Gruyere, alternating ends and tips. Brush with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped meat and Parmesan cheese. Bake until spears are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- Cook's Note: Thaw puff pastry according to package instructions.