Bacon Cheddar Chive Waffles
Crispy waffles filled with savory bacon, cheddar cheese and onions, topped with butter, sweet maple syrup and a fried egg!
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- 8 slices bacon cooked crisp & crumbled
- 1 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions or chives chopped
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- Maple syrup for serving
- butter for serving
- Preheat waffle iron. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
- Add bacon, cheddar cheese, and onions, stir to coat with the flour mixture, this helps to prevent clumping.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined, do not over mix.
- Grease hot waffle iron. Pour about 1/2 cup batter into the waffle iron and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until waffles are golden and cheese is melted. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve with butter and maple syrup. Top with a fried egg if desired.
Cook's Note: I used a Belgian waffle iron for this recipe.