Bacon & Herb Potato Salad
Best served warm or at room temperature. Perfect for a picnic or backyard barbeque!
- 2 lbs. small red potatoes cut in half or thirds if large
- kosher salt
- 6 strips bacon diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. whole grain mustard
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh herbs (flat-leaf parsley, tarragon and thyme)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, place the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the bacon until it just starts to crisp, about 7 minutes; you want to render the bacon slowly. Once the bacon has rendered some of its fat, add the yellow onions to the bacon and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the vinegar and mustard.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and add immediately to the pan with the sautéed bacon. Stir to coat. Add the green onion and fresh herbs, toss to combine. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Cook's Note: Tossing the potatoes with the dressing while they are still hot helps them absorb the flavors.