Bacon Macaroni & Cheese Topped with French Fried Onions
This mac is so GOOD, it could be served in a 5-star steakhouse!!
- 5 T. unsalted butter divided
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. milk heated
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt divided
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 5 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 strips bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 16 oz. Velveeta cheese cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (6 oz.) can French’s Cheddar or Regular French Fried Onions crushed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter or spray a 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a skillet, cook bacon strips until crispy, drain, set aside to cool.
- To make Béchamel Sauce: Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Slowly add the heated milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and add 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, parmesan and Tabasco. Stir until the cheese in melted. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add remaining 1 tsp salt and macaroni. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the macaroni is very al dente. Drain the noodles and return to the pot. Immediately add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, minced garlic and béchamel sauce. Toss well to coat noodles.
- To assemble: Place 1/3 of the macaroni in prepared baking dish. Evenly top with 1/3 of the shredded cheddar, 1/3 of the Velveeta and 3 slices of bacon broken into small pieces. Repeat until all noodles, bacon and cheese are used. Top with the crushed French fried onions.
- Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the top begins to brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.