Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Hands down, the BEST banana cake I have ever eaten!
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 c. mashed bananas
- 2 1/2 T. lemon juice divided
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 2/3 c. butter softened
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 3 lg. eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese room temperature
- 1/3 c. butter room temperature
- 3 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- CAKE: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Zest 1 lemon; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine mashed banana with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup, whisk together milk with 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer beat together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well combined. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Alternate, adding flour mixture and milk mixture to the large bowl beating after each addition until just combined. (Do not overmix). Fold in bananas. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Place into the oven and reduce heat to 325 degrees. Bake for 55-60 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- Remove from oven and place in the freezer for 45 minutes (this makes the cake extra moist). Cool completely before frosting.
- FROSTING: In a medium bowl, cream together butter & cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add in lemon zest and juice. Add confectioners’ sugar a cup at a time until you reach desired consistency. Spread over cooled cake.
You should only need 1 lemon for zest and juicing.