Everyone’s favorite childhood dessert!
- 1 (12 oz.) box vanilla wafers
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 (12 fl. oz.) cans evaporated milk
- 2 lg. eggs lightly beaten
- 3 T. butter cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 ripe but firm bananas cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Whipped cream for serving
- Line bottom and sides of 2 1/2 quart glass bowl with about 40 vanilla wafers.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in evaporated milk, until sugar and cornstarch begin to dissolve.
- Whisk in eggs and add butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low, simmer and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract. Let cool slightly.
- Pour half of pudding over wafers. Top with half of bananas. Layer remaining vanilla wafers over bananas. Combine remaining pudding and bananas, spoon over wafers.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Top with whipped cream.
- Cook's Note: Here we've displayed the pudding in ramekins.