Banana Split Dessert
A delicious shortbread cookie crust, topped with buttercream filling, sliced bananas, crushed pineapple, fresh strawberries, Cool Whip, chocolate drizzle, chopped nuts, and maraschino cherries just like your favorite ice cream sundae! This dessert was VERY popular back in the '80s, Enjoy!
- 1st LAYER :
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 T. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. plus 6 T. cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 c. peanuts, walnuts or pecans finely chopped
- 2nd LAYER :
- 1 c. butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 (16 oz.) box confectioner's sugar
- REMAINING LAYERS :
- 5 to 6 bananas split in half lengthwise
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple drained, reserve juice
- 1 (16 oz.) cont. fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 (12 oz.) cont. Cool Whip topping
- chocolate syrup for drizzling
- 1/2 c. peanuts, walnuts or pecans chopped
- 16 maraschino cherries with stems for decorating
- 1st Layer: In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse meal. Stir in nuts, then press mixture into a 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Lt cool.
- 2nd Layer: In a medium bowl, beat butter, eggs, vanilla and confectioner's sugar for 15 minutes, with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Spread over cooled baked crust.
- Remaining Layers: Split bananas lengthwise and soak in reserved pineapple juice for 5-10 minutes. Remove bananas from the pineapple juice, arrange the banana slices in a single layer on top of the filling. Top with an even layer of the crushed pineapple, and then an even layer of the sliced strawberries. Spread Cool Whip over the top.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup, sprinkle with nuts and garnish with maraschino cherries.