Bean with Bacon Soup
Our delicious blend of white beans, smokey bacon, and veggies in a savory tomato puree is so good you’ll never buy canned soup again!
- 8 slices thick-cut hardwood smoked bacon
- 1 c. diced yellow onion
- 1 c. diced carrots
- 1 c. diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 3 (15 oz.) cans Great Northern beans drained and rinsed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven or large pot until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- To the hot bacon grease, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté over medium heat until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth and beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low; simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove half of the soup to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Return the puree to the soup pot and stir into the remaining soup.
- Add the tomato sauce and 3/4 of the reserved bacon; stir to combine. Taste, season with more salt and pepper if needed. Let the soup simmer until it is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with the remaining bacon, Enjoy!