Blue Ribbon Apple Pie
Serve with a big ol' scoop of vanilla ice cream!!
- PIE FILLING :
- 6-7 granny smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 T. butter cubed
- 1 T. granulated sugar
- pie crust
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt optional
- 2 T. granulated sugar
- 1 c. vegetable shortening
- 1/2 c. ice cold water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- PIE FILLING: In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except butter and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside.
- PIE CRUST: In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse meal. Add ice cold water, stir to combine. With floured hands, divide dough in half and shape into 2 disks.
- On a well floured surface, roll out one dough disk to fit the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Fold dough in half and then into a quarter to make it easier to transfer dough to the pie plate. Unfold and arrange to fit plate. Take a fork and pierce holes in the bottom and sides to prevent bubbling. Fill with apple filling. Dot with 3 tablespoons butter.
- Roll out second disk to cover the top. Cut away excess dough, seal and flute edges. Cut slits on top to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Cover pie with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes or until golden brown. Do not overcook. Turn oven to broil to brown the top if needed. Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- Cook’s Note: Top crust can also be cut into strips to make a lattice top.