This tasty broccoli casserole is the perfect side dish for a holiday dinner or everyday family meal.
- 1 (10-12 oz. pkg.) frozen chopped broccoli cooked and drained
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. onion finely minced
- 2 T. all-purpose flour or almond flour
- dash of pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. half-and-half or light cream
- 1 1/2 c. (6 oz.) sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 lg. eggs beaten
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish. Arrange the cooked and drained broccoli in the dish.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet; add onion and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir in flour until well blended and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the pepper, nutmeg, salt, and half-and-half. Continue cooking over low heat until thickened. Stir in cheese and cook just until cheese is melted.
- Add about 1/3 of the hot mixture to the beaten eggs; add back to the hot mixture, blending well. Pour over the broccoli. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the broccoli casserole comes out clean.