Brownies + Chocolate Chip Cookies = Brookies!
Servings: 38 large cookies
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH:
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 c. light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 lg. egg plus 1 lg. yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- BROWNIE COOKIE DOUGH:
- 1 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 c. plus 2 T. unsalted butter
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar; beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and then the egg yolk. Add the vanilla extract, mixing until well-blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 1/4 cups flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips. Cover and set aside. (Dough does not need to be refrigerated unless it is extremely hot out)
- BROWNIE COOKIE DOUGH: In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and cocoa; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter in 30-second intervals in the microwave on 100% power until completely melted (about 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds total). Pour butter into the bowl with sugar and cocoa; stir until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition until completely incorporated. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir until well combined. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a small cookie scoop (4 teaspoon capacity) portion out all of the chocolate chip cookie dough. Wash and dry the cookie scoop, then portion out the brownie dough in the same manner. (If you do not have a cookie scoop, portion dough using measuring spoons, about 1 1/2 level tablespoons for each dough ball.)
- Press a chocolate chip cookie dough ball and brownie dough ball together and roll between your palms into a ball. Repeat with remaining dough balls. Place dough balls about two inches apart on prepared baking sheets (8 per sheet pan) and bake for 10-12 minutes or until well puffed and lightly golden on the edges of the chocolate chip cookie halves.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheets for about 3 minutes before moving cookies onto cooling racks to cool completely.
You will have chocolate chip cookie dough leftover after assembling the brookies. Press two of the chocolate chip cookie dough balls together, roll and bake for the same amount of time as the brookies. To enhance the beauty of the chocolate chip portion of the cookies, dot a few extra chocolate chips immediately after you remove them from the oven if desired.