I can't think of anything more comforting than a big bowl of pasta! Thick, hollow bucatini tossed with hearty Bolognese sauce is a simple yet elegant meal the whole family will love!
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 med. yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 med. carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 c. half and half or whole milk
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 T. white wine vinegar
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. box bucatini pasta (break the noodles in half for kids)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese Romano, or Asiago cheese for serving
- Fresh chopped Basil or parsley for garnish
- In a large 12-inch skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic, sauté until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add ground beef and Italian sausage, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps, cook until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
- Add half & half. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes or until the half & half is nearly evaporated.
- Stir in chicken broth and white wine vinegar. Return to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer un-covered for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the bucatini according to package directions; drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Toss pasta in Bolognese sauce, adding reserved liquid if needed. Serve in pasta bowls sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese, garnished with fresh chopped basil or parsley.