Caramel Apple Hand Pies
Tender, flaky, hand pies, filled with chopped apples and salted caramel.
Servings: 10 hand pies
- DOUGH :
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1/2 c. cold sour cream
- FILLING :
- 2 c. granny smith apples peeled & diced small
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 8 Brach's soft caramels roughly chopped
- Large flake sea salt
- 1 egg plus 1 T. water for egg wash
- Crystal sanding sugar or Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- DOUGH: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add cubed butter; use a pastry cutter to work the butter into the flour until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand. Stir in the sour cream (the dough will be very wet) then turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface.
- Knead the dough a few times until it comes together, adding more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, if the dough is too sticky to handle. Roll the dough into an 8x10-inch rectangle and dust both sides with flour before folding it into thirds as if you were folding a letter.
- Rotate the dough 90 degrees and roll it out again into an 8x10-inch rectangle. Fold the dough again into thirds then wrap it securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- FILLING: In a small bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar and flour, stirring until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Remove the dough from the refrigerator and unfold it onto a well-floured surface, rolling it out to a 14x14-inch square. Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter or cup, cut out as many circles as possible. Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting out circles until you run out of dough, ensuring you end up with an even number of circles. (You should have approximately twenty 3-inch circles.)
- Place six of the dough circles onto one of the prepared baking sheets. Spoon a small portion of the apple filling into the center of each circle, leaving enough of a border around the filling. Top the apple filling with a portion of the chopped caramels and a pinch of sea salt. Place a second dough circle atop each filled circle, then use a fork to crimp the edges together, sealing each pie.
- Brush each pie with the egg wash. With a sharp knife, cut two to three vents on the top of each pie. Sprinkle the pies with crystal sanding sugar.
- Bake the pies for about 15 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove the pies from the oven and allow them to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Repeat the filling and baking process with the remaining dough circles.
Adapted from justataste.com