Caramel Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe by Grandma Gertie Evens - This recipe has been passed down 6 generations and is very special to our family...Enjoy!!
Servings: 24 rolls
- CINNAMON ROLLS:
- 3 pkg. dry active yeast
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 2 c. milk
- 1/2 c butter softened, + 1/2 c. for kneading & spreading over dough
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 lg. eggs lightly beaten
- 6 c. all-purpose flour
- CINNAMON SUGAR:
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 3 T. cinnamon
- CARAMEL PECAN TOPPING:
- 1/2 c. butter melted, divided
- 1 1/3 c. brown sugar divided
- 1 c. light corn syrup divided
- 2 c. pecans chopped, divided
- CINNAMON ROLLS: In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over low heat, combine milk, ½ cup butter, sugar and salt. Heat until butter has melted, stirring occasionally; do not bring to a boil. Remove from heat, pour into a large mixing bowl, beat in eggs and yeast mixture. Gradually add 3 cups of flour, until combined. Slowly add 3 more cups of flour, mix well.
- Turn dough onto a buttered surface. Knead dough with buttered hands, do NOT use more flour, butter hands frequently. Put dough into a large buttered bowl, cover with a dish towel, let rise until dough has doubled in size.
- CINNAMON SUGAR: In a small bowl stir together sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- CARAMEL PECAN TOPPING: Prepare in two 9 x 13-inch glass baking dishes. Place 1/4 cup butter in each baking dish. Heat in the oven until melted, watch closely, making sure not to burn the butter, remove from oven. Stir in 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup corn syrup in each baking dish, spread evenly to cover the bottom of the baking dishes. Sprinkle 1 cup chopped pecans over each dish, set aside.
- When dough has risen, butter a large flat surface and roll out dough 1/4 - 1/2-inch thick. Butter dough and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, roll into a log and slice into 24 1-inch pieces. Arrange 12 rolls in each dish over caramel and pecans, cover with a towel again and let rise.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, let stand 3-5 minutes, then carefully invert dish onto a sheet of foil. Let rolls cool completely, then cover with foil.