Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
These creamy, cheesy, mashed potatoes are so GOOD, but if you want to take it to the next level, garnish with crispy bacon and chives!
- 6 lg. russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese softened
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/3 c. diced onion
- 1 lg. egg
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover the tops of the potatoes. Add 1 teaspoon salt to the water. Turn the burner on high and bring water to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook the potatoes in gently boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes (I like to use a ricer). Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, onion, egg, salt and pepper; using a hand mixer, beat until fluffy.
- Transfer potatoes to a greased 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until heated through.
- Turn heat to broil. Remove foil and sprinkle additional cheese over the top of the potatoes if desired, broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.