Chicken and Sweet Potato Chowder
Cozy up to a warm bowl of my creamy chicken and sweet potato chowder. The ultimate comfort food on a chilly Fall or Winter day!
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. skinless boneless chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 med. onion finely chopped
- 3 med. leeks white and light green parts only, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 lg. sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 c. chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 T. fresh sage sliced, divided
- 1 T. flat leaf parsley minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 c. whole milk
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the chicken and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions and all but 1 tablespoon of the leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add the stock, 1 tablespoon of the sage, the parsley, bay leaf, salt and white pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat, until the chicken is white throughout and the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer 1-1/2 cups of the sweet potatoes and milk to a food processor; puree until smooth. Return the puree to the saucepan.
- Season with salt and pepper. Simmer the chowder for 3 minutes, then discard the bay leaf.
- Serve the chowder hot, garnished with the remaining leeks and sage.
Cook's Note: Turkey breast can easily be used in place of chicken.