This Vietnamese chicken noodle soup is pho-nominal! Top with your choice of seven elements!
- BROTH :
- 2 T. whole coriander seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 8 c. chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken breast (bone in or boneless)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 (3-inch) chunk ginger sliced
- 1 T. granulated sugar
- 1 T. fish sauce
- 1 lb. dried rice noodles (about 1/4-inch wide)
- ELEMENTS :
- 2 c. bean sprouts washed and tails pinched off
- Thai basil, cilantro leaves, and mint sprigs fresh leaves & tender stems
- 1/2 c. shaved red onions
- 1/2 lime cut into 4 wedges
- Sriracha chili sauce
- hoisin sauce
- Sliced fresh peppers of your choice
- BROTH: Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the coriander seeds, cloves and star anise and toast until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Immediately spoon out the spices to avoid burning.
- In a large pot, add the chicken stock, chicken breast, onion, ginger sugar, fish sauce and toasted spices; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes, skimming the surface frequently.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken breasts and shred the meat with your fingers, discarding the bone if you have used bone-in breasts.
- Taste the broth and add more fish sauce or sugar, if needed. Strain the broth and discard the solids. Return broth to the pot.
- In a separate pot, prepare the noodles according to package directions.
- Ladle the broth into soup bowls. Divide the shredded chicken breast and the cooked noodles evenly into each bowl.
- ELEMENTS: Set up an "Element Bar" so each person can customize their own bowl with these ingredients.