Chicken Vegetable Chowder
Recipe by Christine Wisuri Jurmu - Feel free to add your own favorite vegetables to this delicious chicken chowder!
- 6-8 c. chicken broth homemade or store bought
- 1 lg. onion diced
- 1/2-1 c. diced celery
- 2-3 c. diced carrots
- 4-5 c. diced potatoes
- 2 tsp. salt
- black pepper to taste
- Seasonings your choice, to taste
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 4 c. milk
- 1 cooked whole chicken diced
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat and add the onions, celery, carrots, and seasonings. Cook for a while and then add the potatoes. When veggies are almost done, I add in some cut up broccoli and cauliflower (or whatever other veggies you want to add).
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter; add flour, mix well. Slowly add the milk; cooking over low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- When veggies are tender, add the white sauce and chicken to the soup, cook until all of the ingredients are heated through.
- Serve chowder topped with grated cheese OR add some cheese to the white sauce before adding to the soup. Serve soup with crackers or homemade bread.