Coney Island Style!! Kosher beef hot dogs, homemade chili, cheddar cheese and onions!
- 1/2 lb. bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 lg. onion chopped
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 c. beef broth
- 2 T. molasses or honey
- 2 T. sweet paprika
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- salt to taste
- Kosher hot dogs
- Outdoor Buns for the hot dogs
- butter for the hot dog buns
- Chopped red onion for garnish
- Shredded cheddar or jack cheese for garnish
- CHILI: Fry bacon over medium heat until it begins to get crispy, increase heat to medium-high and add onions, stirring often, until they begin to brown. Add ground beef, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned. This will take a few minutes. When the beef is about halfway browned, toss in the chopped garlic, mix well. Once the beef is well browned, add tomato sauce, molasses and beef broth. Add all the spices except salt and cayenne, stir well. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add salt and cayenne, to taste. Let the chili cook on a gentle simmer for at least 30 minutes before you start grilling the hot dogs.
- HOT DOGS: Grill hot dogs over medium heat until they get a light char. Butter the hot dog buns and grill no more than a minute or two, as they will burn fast.
- Serve grilled hot dogs on toasted buns, covered with chili and topped with chopped red onions and shredded cheddar cheese. Makes enough chili for 16-20 hot dogs