Chocolate Caramel Candy Apple Slices
Tart Granny Smith apples dipped in semi-sweet chocolate, drizzled with white chocolate and caramel, then topped with your favorite candy and nuts!
Servings: 12 slices
- 3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips melted for dipping
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 3 lg. Granny Smith or Fuji apples sliced in quarters
- 12 Popsicle sticks
- 1/2 (11 oz.) bag Kraft caramels melted for drizzling
- 1/2 (12 oz.) bag Wilton’s white chocolate candy melts for drizzling
- TOPPINGS :
- Chopped pecans
- Mini M&M's
- Mini chocolate chips
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionally until melt and smooth.
- Meanwhile, wash and pat dry apples. Place apples upright on a cutting board, using a large knife, cut each apple into 1/2-inch slices. (Slice the apples in half, and then cut each half in half, trimming the rounded ends. You should have 4 slices per apple.) Using a paring knife, make a small slit in the bottom of each apple slice and insert a Popsicle stick.
- Dip apple slices into melted chocolate, scrap off excess with an offset spatula and place on prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramels. Spray a microwave-safe bowl with cooking spray. Unwrap the individual caramel candies and place them into the bowl; microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Use oven mitts to remove the bowl and smash the warmed caramels down with the silicone spatula before returning it to the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power.
- Stir the caramels with the silicone spatula. If any lumps remain, microwave again for 30 second bursts at 50% power until the candy is totally melted.
- Melt the white chocolate. Place the candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 50% power or defrost setting for 1 minute. Stir thoroughly. Continue to microwave and stir at 30-second intervals until smooth and completely melted.
- Pipe or drizzle melted caramel and white chocolate over chocolate covered apple slices and sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Refrigerate candy apple slices for about 1 hour. Serve and enjoy. Apples are best the first day. Store the candy apples in the refrigerator.
- Cook’s Note: For best results, follow the chocolate chip package instructions for melting the chocolate, the caramel package instructions for melting caramels, and the candy melt package for melting the chips.