Chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
A rich chocolate cookie, rolled in chopped pecans, filled with a melted Dove chocolate-covered caramel.
Servings: 3 dozen cookies
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 c. brown sugar packed
- 1 lg. egg separated
- 3 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. pecans finely chopped
- 26 chocolate-covered caramel candies such as Dove or Rolo
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla and mix until blended, about 1 minute. Add the flour mixture in two batches and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, beat the egg white with a fork. Set aside about 1/4 cup of the pecans; put the rest on a plate. Roll 1 tablespoon of the dough into a ball, coat it with egg white, and roll it in the nuts. Repeat with the remaining dough. Put the cookies on the sheet, leaving about 3 inches between them. With your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each cookie, then reshape the outside edges, if they crack.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. Carefully remove them from the oven and gently press a caramel candy into each cookie. Bake until the chocolate and caramel soften, about 2-3 minutes more. Cool the cookies on a rack and sprinkle with reserved nuts.