Chocolate Cream Pie
Inspired by my grandma Bea Hutchins
- 1 (9 inch) OREO COOKIE CRUST :
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 1/4 c. melted butter
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 c. whole milk
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 3 T. butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 T. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Chocolate bar for shaving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- OREO COOKIE CRUST: Add Oreo cookies to a food processor; pulse into fine crumbs. Pour in the melted butter, process until combined.
- Press the cookie crumb mixture evenly and firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a deep 9-inch pie dish or springform pan with a measuring cup. Bake for 8-10 minutes; set aside to cool.
- CHOCOLATE FILLING: In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and cocoa. Whisk in milk until well combined. Place the saucepan over medium heat; cook whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbling over entire surface about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chocolate, butter, and vanilla, whisk until the chocolate is melted and filling is smooth.
- Pour filling into the cooled cookie crust and smooth into an even layer. Place a piece of plastic wrap gently on top and refrigerate until filling is set, about 4–6 hours preferably overnight.
- WHIPPED CREAM: In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat heavy cream on high speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating until soft peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Spread the whipped cream over the pie and garnish with curled chocolate, if desired.