Cinnamon Churros with Chocolate Dip
Deep fried, cinnamon-sugar coated Mexican doughnuts, with melted chocolate for dunking!
Servings: 10 churros
- CINNAMON SUGAR:
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- CHURROS :
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine
- 1 T. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. self-rising flour or all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- CHOCOLATE :
- 6 oz. specialty chocolate chopped, any flavor
- Cinnamon Sugar: Mix the 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon on a plate and set aside.
- Churros: In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine water, butter or margarine, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Using a wooden spoon, stir in all the flour. Reduce the heat to low and stir vigorously until the mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and transfer the dough to a stand mixer bowl; mix on low speed until there is no longer steam escaping from the dough. With the mixer running on medium, add the eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating completely until a shiny, smooth texture forms before adding the next egg. Scrape down the mixer bowl with a rubber spatula between each addition. Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a star decorating tip.
- Heat about 3 inches of oil in a large, heavy bottomed, high-sided pot over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 375 degrees.
- To fry the churros, carefully squeeze the dough from the piping bag directly over the oil in 3 to 4-inch lengths, cutting the dough at the tip with a butter knife or scissors and gently dropping them into the oil. Turn frequently with tongs until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Work in batches to prevent overcrowding the pan and allowing the oil to reheat to 375 degrees between each batch. Drain the churros on paper towels and then toss in cinnamon sugar to coat while still warm.
- Chocolate: Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Arrange the churros on a serving platter and serve with melted chocolate.
- Cook's Note: Self-rising flour makes the churros a bit lighter and fluffier, but all-purpose flour works just fine. Choose your favorite flavored chocolate, we like orange!