Cranberry Apple Crisp
This is a wonderful dessert for Fall, when both cranberries and apples are in season. A delicious alternative to pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving too!
- TOPPING :
- 1 c. light brown sugar packed
- 1 c. old fashioned oats
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. chilled unsalted butter cut into pieces
- FILLING :
- 2 (12 oz.) bags fresh cranberries
- 3-4 med. Honey Crisp apples peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 granulated sugar
- 2 T. apple juice or cider
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- TOPPING: In a large bowl, toss together brown sugar, oats, flour, and salt. Add butter and mix with your hands until the mixture comes together in moist clumps. Cover; chill while preparing filling.
- FILLING: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish OR 6-8 mini skillets or ramekins.
- In a large heavy pot, combine cranberries, apples, sugar, and apple juice. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often. Boil until cranberries are tender and juices start to thicken, about 5 minutes. Transfer filling to prepared dish(es). Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake crisp(s) until filling is thick and bubbling and the topping is crisp and deep golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream.