Cream Scones with Raspberry Jam
There’s nothing better than a warm scone smeared with whipped butter and raspberry jam at the county fair! Here I’ve re-created them so you can have them year-round. Serve with my homemade Raspberry Jam or Orange Marmalade, Enjoy!
Servings: 12 scones
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 4 T. cold butter diced
- 2 T. vegeable shortening
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 lg. egg lightly beaten
- sugar crystals for sprinkling
- whipped butter for serving
- raspberry jam for serving
- orangle marmalade for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter and shortening into dry ingredients, using a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse corn meal.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream with beaten egg, add to dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Knead dough 5-6 times on a generously floured surface, folding dough in half on top of itself each time. Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Roll or pat each portion into a 5-inch diameter dome, with center slightly higher than the outside edge. Cut each dome into 4 wedges. Sprinkle the tops with sugar crystals if desired.
- Bake on an un-greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until lightly brown. Split scones almost entirely in half, spread with whipped butter and fill with raspberry jam or orange marmalade. Serve at once.
- Cook's Note: Add a handful of Dried Fruit such as Blueberries, Raisins, Currants or Cranberries with 1 tablespoon of Orange Zest. Let your imagination go wild!
- How cool is this scone cast iron pan!?! After kneading in step 4 press dough into this greased pan and bake as directed.