Creole Salmon Cakes
Perfect for a light supper OR as an elegant appetizer. These tasty salmon cakes are always a BIG hit with family and friends!
Servings: 12 medium cakes
- SALMON CAKES:
- 3 (6 oz.) cans wild Alaskan salmon boneless & skinless
- 1 1/2 c. Ritz crackers crushed
- 1/4 c. red onion minced
- 1 stalk celery minced
- 1 lg. jalapeño minced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 c. Best Foods mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. brown mustard
- 1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil divided, for frying
- SPICY DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1/2 c. Best Foods mayonnaise
- 1 T. hot sauce Frank’s or Sriracha
- 1 pinch black pepper
- SALMON CAKES: Drain salmon and set aside.
- In a large bowl add crushed crackers, minced veggies, spices, mayonnaise and mustard, stir well. Gently fold in salmon and Panko bread crumbs until combined. Do not over mix.
- Form into twelve 1/4 cup patties OR make into smaller appetizer-size if desired. Place crab cakes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. At this point you could refrigerate the crab cakes until ready to fry.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; working in batches, brown 6 patties for about 4-5 minutes per side until nice and golden brown. Repeat steps with remaining patties.
- Patties can also be placed under the broiler and cooked for about 8 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve right away with dipping sauce.
- SPICY DIPPING SAUCE: In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, hot sauce and pepper until combined. Serve with salmon cakes.
Cook’s Note: Alternately, you can use fresh cooked salmon or left-over salmon in this dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the salmon on a sheet pan lined with foil for easy clean-up, skin side down. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until just cooked. Remove from the oven and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes and refrigerate until cold. Use chilled salmon in place of canned salmon.