These dill pickled carrots are great alongside sandwiches, in salads, or as a tasty snack!
Servings: 7 pints
- 6 c. white vinegar
- 2 c. water
- 1/2 c. pickling salt or canning salt
- 7 cloves garlic
- 14 heads fresh dill or 1/2 tsp. of dill seed per jar
- 3 1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes optional
- 5 lbs. carrots ends removed, peeled and sliced into sticks
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, water and salt. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve salt.
- Place 1/2 to 1 clove of garlic, 1 head of dill and 1/2 tsp of hot pepper flakes, if using, in each hot jar. Slice carrots into sticks that work with the mason jars you have, allowing for the tops to sit 1/2″ below the last jar thread. Pack carrots into hot jars and top with second head of dill.
- Ladle hot pickling liquid into jars to cover carrots, leaving 1/2″ headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary. Wipe the rims. Center the lids on jars. Screw the band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool, label and store.