Dutch Apple Pie
Is it an Apple Pie or is it an Apple Crisp? It's the best of both worlds!!
- 1 recipe Papa's Pie Crust (Makes two 9-inch pie crusts)
- FILLING :
- 6 lg. granny smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- TOPPING :
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 T. unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 c. walnuts finely chopped
- Crust: Prepare Papa's Pie Crust recipe according to directions. On a floured surface, roll one disk of dough to fit a deep 9-inch glass pie plate. Take a fork and pierce holes in the bottom of the crust to prevent bubbling. Trim the overhang and flute the edges. Spoon in the apple filling.
- Filling: In a large bowl, toss together apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Spoon filling into prepared pie plate.
- Topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Add softened butter, stir to combine. Add walnuts. Press the mixture into clumps and sprinkle over the pie.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Set a baking sheet on the bottom rack to catch spills. Bake the pie in the center of the oven for 1 hour, until the crust is golden and apples are tender. Cover the pie with foil about halfway through the cooking time, so the top doesn't get too dark.
- Allow the pie to cool for at least 4 hours before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Recipe Link for: Papa's Pie Crust