Finnish Pulla Bread - Cardamom Sweet Bread
Recipe by Christine Wisuri Jurmu - This delicious sweet bread with warm cardamom is so versatile, it can be shaped in a variety of ways, Braids, Twist Rolls or Pull-A-Part Loaves...Nauttia! (Enjoy)
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2 c. milk
- 2 pkg. active dry yeast dissolved in 1/2 c. warm water (110 degrees)
- 3 lg. eggs
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6-7 c. all-purpose flour see note below
- Butter and cinnamon sugar for Pull-A-Parts and Twists
- 1 lg. egg white for brushing
- Pearl sugar for sprinkling
- Melt a 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add milk, heat until warm. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the 3 eggs and sugar until well combined.
- Add the warmed butter and milk, dissolved yeast, cardamom, and salt, beat until combined. Slowly add flour, beat well after each addition. Knead the dough until smooth and glossy, either in your stand mixer or by hand on a well floured surface.
- Cover and set in a warm place to rise, until dough has doubled in size.
- Turn dough onto a well floured surface. Make into desired shapes. (Braids, Small Twist Rolls, or Pull-A-Parts). For the Twist Rolls and Pull-A-Parts, I roll out half the dough, spread with butter and sprinkle with washed raw cane sugar and cinnamon and then shape.
- Place pullas on a greased baking sheet or pan. Allow to rise again, about 20-30 minutes. Beat one egg white and brush over tops of the pullas, then sprinkle with pearl sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Frost with Buttercream or Cream Cheese Frosting, if desired.
- Cook's Note: If making caramel rolls, reduce the sugar to a 1/2 cup.
Cook's Note: I use white unbleached bread flour and 1 cup stone ground wheat flour.