This Italian bread is full of fantastic flavors. Topped with vegetables, herbs and cheese. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. The perfect appetizer!
- 2 1/2 tsp. dry active yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1/2 c. warm water (110 degrees )
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 to 3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. olive oil divided
- 1 tomato seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 c. black olives pitted and sliced
- 1 (6 oz.) jar marinated artichoke hearts drained and sliced
- 2 T. capers
- 1/2 c. red onion chopped
- 1 1/2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; stir in salt. Slowly add 1 cup flour, stir until thoroughly mixed. Gradually add remaining flour, add enough flour, just until dough begins to form a ball and pulls away from side of bowl.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a bowl greased with olive oil. Cover bowl and let rise in a warm place (about 80 degrees) until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Generously grease a 10x15-inch jelly-roll pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Punch down dough and roll out about 1/2-inch thick. Transfer dough to pan and pat out to pan edges.
- Using fingers, firmly press toppings into dough. Brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and rosemary. Rise again, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake in the lower third of oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges of crust are well browned. Cut into 4-inch squares; serve hot.