Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions
- 6-8 strips bacon cooked crisp
- 1 med. head green cabbage chopped
- 1 med. yellow onion diced
- 2-3 T. vinegar
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Cook bacon in a deep cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 to 6 minutes. Use a slotted spatula to remove the bacon pieces and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the diced onion to the bacon drippings and cook until translucent, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage to the pan and toss to coat. Add in brown sugar, salt, and pepper and cook until cabbage is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the bacon back to the cabbage and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes; season with more pepper if desired. Serve hot.
- Cook’s Note: Diced apples, sliced sausage or noodles would make a great addition to this dish!