Fruity Pebbles Cupcakes
Inspired by Becky Kershner – Vanilla confetti cupcakes topped with homemade vanilla buttercream frosting and colorful Fruity Pebbles!
Servings: 20 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 c. cake flour
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. buttermilk room temperature
- 2 lg. eggs room temperature
- 2 lg. egg whites room temperature
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. rainbow jimmies
- VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 c. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 2-4 T. heavy cream room temperature
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- Fruity Pebbles cereal for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 20 standard muffin cups with paper liners; set aside.
- CUPCAKES: In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, vegetable oil, and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating until just incorporated. (Do not overmix the batter it can cause your cupcakes to be dry.) Stir in rainbow jimmies with a rubber spatula just until combined. (Do not over mix it can cause the sprinkles to bleed into the batter.).
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not overbake! Remove them from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- FROSTING: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, salt, and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add heavy cream and vanilla, beating just until incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Use a small offset spatula or a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip to frost cupcakes, garnished with Fruity Pebbles.
It is important that all of your ingredients are at room temperature.