Full of Beans Soup
A wonderful way to use up left-over holiday ham!
- 2 quarts water for soaking
- 1 (20 oz.) bag dried mixed beans
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth
- 1 lb. smoked ham ham hocks or sausage
- 1 c. chopped onions
- 1 c. chopped carrot
- 1 c. chopped celery
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced or stewed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soaking: Place beans in a large pot, cover with 2 quarts of water. Allow beans to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- To Cook: Drain soaking water, and add 2 quarts chicken stock or broth and meat to the pot of beans. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, chili powder, bay leaf, lemon juice and garlic. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Remove bones and bay leaf. Shred meat, return to pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook's Note: Soup freezes well, may need to add more chicken stock when reheating.