German Chocolate Brownies
Fudge brownies topped with coconut pecan frosting.
Servings: 24 brownies
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- FROSTING :
- 1 c. evaporated milk
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. angel flake coconut
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan.
- BROWNIES: In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a wood spoon, stir the sugar, melted butter, and vanilla together.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs, and stir into the melted butter mixture.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the egg mixture, stir until just combined. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Do not overcook. Remove from the oven, cool pan on wire rack. Cool brownies completely before frosting.
- FROSTING: Combine milk, sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add coconut and pecans. Cool, stirring occasionally, until you've reached spreading consistency. Frost the cooled brownies. Cut the brownies into squares with a plastic knife and refrigerate until ready to serve.