Gingerbread Boys & Girls
A fun activity for the whole family, simply decorate as desired. Punch a hole out before baking and hang as tree ornaments!
Servings: 3 dozen cookies
- 2/3 c. vegetable shortening
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Confectioner's sugar icing
- Red hot candies and chocolate chips for decorating
- In a mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg, gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-inch cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate as desired.