Gingerbread Loaf with Cinnamon Icing
An incredibly moist old-fashioned spice cake topped with cinnamon icing.
Servings: 1 loaf
- 2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 T. ground ginger
- 1 T. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. molasses
- 1 c. hot water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter softened
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 lg. eggs
- CINNAMON ICING:
- 1 c. confectioner's sugar
- 2 T. milk
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- GINGERBREAD: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together molasses, hot water and vanilla extract; set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Gradually add one third flour mixture, beating on low speed just until flour is incorporated. Add half the molasses mixture; once batter is smooth, add another third flour mixture. Add remaining molasses mixture beating until incorporated. Add remaining flour mixture, beating until smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan, then cool an additional 30 minutes.
- CINNAMON ICING: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, milk and cinnamon until smooth. Drizzle on top of gingerbread loaf.