Glazed Lemon Blueberry Scones
These light and tender scones are bursting with fresh blueberries and topped with a sweet and tangy lemon glaze. Perfect for a Sunday Brunch or Spring Tea!
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 4 T. frozen butter grated
- 2 T. shortening
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 lg. egg lightly beaten
- Zest of 1 lg. lemon
- 1 c. blueberries fresh or frozen
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1 c. confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 2-3 T. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- SCONES: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter and shortening into dry ingredients, using a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, egg and lemon zest, add to dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Gently toss in blueberries. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point.
- Shape the dough into a ball with floured hands and transfer to a floured surface. Press into a neat 8-inch disc and cut into 8 equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Place scones at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- LEMON GLAZE: In a small bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice together until smooth. Add another tablespoon of lemon juice to thin out, if necessary. Drizzle or spread glaze over warm scones right before serving.