A colorful combination of ripe seedless grapes, topped with cream biscuits and sliced almonds.
- FILLING :
- 5 c. assorted seedless grapes
- 2 T. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- TOPPING :
- 1 c. all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c. almond flour
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 T. unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 lg. egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 3 T. sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- FILLING: In a large bowl, combine the grapes, flour, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts, lemon juice and salt; toss to coat the grapes.
- TOPPING: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Work the butter into the flour mixture with your fingers until it looks like coarse meal with pea-size bits of butter. Lightly beat the egg and heavy cream in a small bowl; add to the flour mixture and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Spread the grape filling in an 8-inch square baking dish. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the biscuit topping over the grapes, leaving a small space between each spoonful. Sprinkle the topping with sugar and the almonds.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown and puffy and the filling is bubbling, about 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.