Green Tomato Pie
Recipe by Leilani Erps - If you've never had green tomato pie, boy are you in for a treat!
- 2 lbs. green tomatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar plus 1 T. for sprinkling
- 6 T. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 T. lemon juice
- Pastry for two- 9-inch pie crusts
- To peel tomatoes: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Score an "X" on the bottom of each tomato. Place tomatoes in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to loosen the skins. Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water or strainer. Carefully, remove the skins, then thinly slice them.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon nutmeg and salt. Add tomato slices and lemon juice; gently toss to coat.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with one pastry. Pierce the pastry with a fork. Arrange tomato filling in an even layer. Roll out remaining pastry, cover cut to vent or make a lattice top. Trim, seal and flute edges. Sprinkle the top with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Watch carefully, you may need to cover the edges with foil, if it gets too brown. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Serve cold with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Cook's Notes: I like to add golden raisins and dried cranberries. I also like to make this pie with a crumb topping: Combine 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/4 c. quick oats and 3-4 T. butter. Crumble over the filling.