Guinness Brown Bread
Serve our delicious bread warm with Irish Kerrygold butter, alongside your favorite soups, stews, chili or chowder!
- 1 c. old fashioned oats
- 2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. dark brown sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 (11.2 oz) bottle Guinness beer
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1/3 c. melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 2-quart glass or oven safe bowl; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, wheat flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together beer, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a wood spoon until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with a handful of additional oats.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Turn the oven off, open the oven door, but keep the bread inside for another 30 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and carefully invert onto a cutting board. Slice with a serrated knife and serve warm with butter and honey.