Butternut Squash Soup with Apple Gorgonzola and Almonds
Cozy up to a warm bowl of my creamy butternut squash soup topped with grated Granny Smith apple, Gorgonzola cheese, and Smokehouse almonds! When I think of Fall, I think of this delicious soup, simple and satisfying!
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2/3 c. diced carrot
- 2/3 c. diced onion
- 1/2 c. diced celery
- 4 c. (1 med.) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 to 6 c. low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 c. 100% natural applesauce
- 1 (4 oz.) gorgonzola cheese, crumbled for garnish
- 1 (6 oz.) can whole smokehouse almonds for garnish
- 1 med. granny smith apple, peeled and grated for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add diced carrot, onion, and celery. Cook until vegetables begin to soften and the onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cubed butternut squash and thyme. Stir in chicken broth and season with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer until squash is fork tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender OR carefully puree in 3 batches in a traditional blender. Do not fill blender more than 1/2 full. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl.
- Return soup to the pot and stir in applesauce.
- Ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with gorgonzola cheese, almonds and grated apple. Serves 6-8
Print recipe here: Butternut Squash Soup with Apple Gorgonzola and Almonds