Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Serve our homemade cranberry sauce with your holiday turkey, or use just as you would jam over toast, biscuits, thumbprint cookies, pancakes, oatmeal, and vanilla ice cream!
Servings: 2 1/2 CUPS
- 1 c. orange juice
- 3/4 to 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 (12 oz.) pkg. fresh cranberries
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Any desired add-ins I always add a pinch of cinnamon
- Whisk juice and sugar together in a large saucepan over medium high heat; add cranberries, lemon juice and zest. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until all the berries have popped. Take a spoon of the sauce out, cool it off and taste to adjust sugar. Reduce heat to a low simmer and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir in any add-ins desired. Strain if a smooth sauce is desired or leave as is and allow to cool. Refrigerate; sauce will thicken in the fridge.
- Add-ins: Pecans, walnuts, raisins, currants, mandarin orange wedges, and spices such as nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, cinnamon. Add a couple tablespoons of hot pepper jelly or minced jalapeno to spice it up.