Popular back in the seventies, this classic cake is a delicious way to celebrate Easter and Spring!
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 lg. eggs beaten
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple un-drained
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- 2 c. chopped bananas
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese room temperature
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.
- CAKE: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add beaten eggs, oil and vanilla, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (DO NOT BEAT) Stir in pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- FROSTING: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Add the heavy cream, beat until peaks form.
- Spread cream cheese frosting between cake layers. Frost the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup chopped pecans over the top. Store cake in refrigerator.